Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:03:01 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI suggestions?

--00000000000035c31a05d700423e

I did a MIDI Modullar Controller once myself on 8-bit MCS51 MCU :-) :-)

https://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/

MIDI uses UART frames with some strange bitrate (~23k I dont remember
exactly sorry) and current interface unlike voltage one in pc serial port.
If you have MIDI-TO-USB adapter it may not be different from UART-TO-USB
adapter with some specific settings. There was a specification out there
somewhere.

MIDI frame contains "events" like key press note strength, knob number
value, etc.

But I never used MIDI on FreeBSD sorry. I still have the MIDI MC controller
but I gave away the MIDI-TO-USB adapter. I am sure that some device will
show up after you connect the adapter, then you can read the frames from
drvice and write frames to a device. Then you need some software that would
allow you to perform your tasks. You may even try to write your own tools
in Python for easy experimenting.

It should be even possible to use some USB-TO-UART (or better RS485 current
loop interface) with specific settings to talk MIDI.

--00000000000035c31a05d700423e

s://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/">https://www.tomek.cedro.info/midi-mc/</a=
with some strange bitrate (~23k I dont remember exactly sorry) and current =
interface unlike voltage one in pc serial port. If you have MIDI-TO-USB ada=
pter it may not be different from UART-TO-USB adapter with some specific se=
ttings. There was a specification out there somewhere.</div><div dir=3D"aut=
key press note strength, knob number value, etc.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br=
ve the MIDI MC controller but I gave away the MIDI-TO-USB adapter. I am sur=
e that some device will show up after you connect the adapter, then you can=
 read the frames from drvice and write frames to a device. Then you need so=
me software that would allow you to perform your tasks. You may even try to=
 write your own tools in Python for easy experimenting.</div><div dir=3D"au=
TO-UART (or better RS485 current loop interface) with specific settings to =
r>CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, <a href=3D"http://www.tomek.cedro.info">http://www.tomek=

--00000000000035c31a05d700423e--