Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:36:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Craig McIntosh <kc8gje@infinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD Work with Windows98?

> Hello, I was wondering if I can run FreeBSD, on my PC and Still have my
> computer boot directly to Windows. Like Haing MS-DOS start and typing "Win"
> to start Windows. I want to enter a file name with windows Running to start
> FreeBSD. I'm not really sure how it works.
>
> Its very importaint that FreeBSD won't change my computer so windows is
> effected or that my HD isn't parationed.

	FreeBSD is a full featured, functioning operating system. Like
all operating systems, it must have it's own partion on your harddrive,
and takes over the computer. Your example above is erroneous, and
Windows is not a operating system, it is merely a 'GUI shell' for MS-Dos.
Now, if you wish, there are several utilities that will help you
repartion your hard drive with minimal data loss, but it is still HIGHLY
recommended to backup any important data. You can then at boot time,
choose which OS to boot, Dos or FreeBSD. If you don't want to mess the
computer up so family members can use it, you should look into buying a
cheap 486 and dedicating is totally to FreeBSD, you'll be plesantly
surprised by it's performance and stability versus your Windows95/98 laden
Pentium machines.

						Rick