Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:45:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Paul Chung <pcchung@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP addresses on a single network card

You should send pure questions like this to freebsd-questions. I dunno,
you may have already received several notes on this. The newbies group
charter is slightly confusing. I think you're supposed to use it to
comment on the wonder you achieved by learning how to add alias addresses
to your NIC in the questions group. Maybe someone will correct me, too. ;)

Use something like this to add 10.0.0.1: (replacing ed0 with your nic
device)

  ifconfig ed0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff alias

It'll work immediately, but put it in your rc.conf to survive boots.

There's lots of info in the docs, faq, archives, and ifconfig manpage on
this stuff. Usually more than enough to thoroughly confuse. :)

-Dave