Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:58:38 -0800
From:      "Todd Meister" <todd@lmi.net>
To:        "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named: refused query on non-query socket

On 8 Mar 00, at 19:42, C J Michaels wrote:
> I didn't see anything in the archives about this.  There are NUMEROUS
> entries in my /var/log/messages with the following error message:
>
> Mar  8 12:34:03 cartman named[146]: refused query on non-query socket from
> [10.0.0.3].1124
>
> The port number changes for each message, and it's not always 10.0.0.3 but
> it is a machine on the internal network.

IIRC, this problem occurs when you have a query-source port
specified in your  named.conf:
         query-source address * port 53;

Commenting that line out should do it.

DNS no longer uses a priveleged port, but rather queries wherever it
may, willy-nilly.

If you've upgraded from BIND 8.1 to 8.2, that's probably why you're
seeing it.