Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:01:47 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I access a USB device that has no driver attached?

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 06:22:54PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> I have a UPS with a USB interface.  There isn't a specific UPS driver in
> FreeBSD beyond uhid.  If I were to connect the UPS's interface port
> without having a driver attached, is it still possible to talk to the
> device in some way?  I ask because I'm helping get nut (sysutils/nut)
> working for USB UPSes under FreeBSD.

Maybe your question is outdated, but since noone answered yet.

- You can enhance our uhid driver
- You can write your own driver
- You can do raw control transfers via /dev/usb*
- You can also do raw control and pipe trandfers if ugen takes the
  device
- You can use libusb for portable (Linux, ...) device access via ugen

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de