Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:39:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
Cc:        'Jordan Hubbard' <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, jjohnson@au.yahoo-inc.com, jmr71769@earthlink.net, hal@vailsys.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone see todays Wall Street Journal article: Microsoft Using Free Software (or something to that effect)

Your MUA is a known text mutilator.  You'd be better off getting a
UNIX-based MUA:

On Wednesday, 20 June 2001 at 11:16:18 +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> wrote:
>>> That's the BSD license for ya.
>>>
>>> There needs to be a license that says something to the effect of
>>> "Anyone can use/buy/sell/modify/distribute this software with or
>>> without source code except Microsoft."
>>
>> Why?  I'd personally be happy if Microsoft software was made a lot
>> easier to use by incorporating BSD stuff.  Imagine, a Windows 2000
>> firewall that didn't suck rocks, or DHCP renegotiation that didn't
>> drop all my active connections by default when my modem hung up
>> unexpectedly...  It would be nice!
>
> Heheh..... just looks like that Wallstreet journal thingy...
> complaining without even looking into it and thus stating loose
> unfounded facts, making you look very silly IMHO.

It does?  The article was written in cooperation with the FreeBSD
project, and I think it was very well done.  Perhaps you have some
details you're withholding.

> I don't know what you define by "ease of use", but that's probably
> personal and depends on what you want to use something for and not
> to forget how to use it :)

OK, try replying to this message with your broken MUA and *fix* *up*
all the breakage it causes.  People don't do it because it's too
difficult.  I did it with my setup because I can't read it otherwise,
and it's not too difficult.  Which is easy to use?

> You might like to type a 'netsh.exe' to come into the Net Shell with
> all kinds of nice commands, you'll prolly like it :)

I strongly doubt it.

> For your "unexpected hang ups":
> Q239924 - How to Disable Media Sense for TCP/IP in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/9/24.ASP

> set this value data to 1, DHCP, and even non-DHCP, clients ignore Media
> Sense events from the interface. By default, Media Sense events trigger
> the DHCP client to take an action, such as attempting to obtain a lease
> (when a connect event occurs), or invalidating the interface and routes
> (when a disconnect event occurs)."
>
> Which will fix your problems... You should really start using MSDN (or
> google which will also find it) instead of complaining without doing the
> proper research... In the unix/bsd/* world they call that RTFM -> nicely
> said: Read The Faq and Manual, oh and don't forget to understand it
> either...

Well, no, what Jordan was referring to was a bug, not a feature.  And
we don't need MSDN.  We don't need Microsoft.

> On another note... something I already mailed in the former discussions:
> Port from UNIX to Win32:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vccore/_core_port
> _from_unix_to_win32.htm

Your MUA broke the URL.  Microsoft broke the page.  It comes out blank
on my browser.  Maybe it's "optimized" to use Microsoft-only browsers.

> And for the rest.... using BSD sockets is quite easy one only needs
> to open the winsock.dll

What will you find inside?

> and as it's using the BSD API it's quite easy to port it and winsock
> also allows ease of use with IPX, XNS, DECnet and others... Native
> NT/Win32 apps are usually written with the use of Events
> (WSAEventSelect() etc...) but that's a completely different subject,
> altough it also shows a bit of the part of the internal workings of
> the stack as they surely won't do a select() on filedescripts,
> though it looks the same it ain't :)

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Recall that people here don't
use Microsoft.

>> The only thing people are really slamming Microsoft here is being
>> hypocritical.  Actually using BSD code is an action I support for any
>> value of the licensee string. :)
>
> Microsoft Windows BSD.... naah... though you could make a BSD
> subsystem and plug that straight into NT...  But that's what they
> have the POSIX subsystem for and not to forget Interix
> (http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/interix/).

You're missing the point.

> Hopes that clears some of the mess up for you.

Not really.  You seem to have completely missed the point, and I had
to clean up your mess for you.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.