Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:30:31 -0500
From:      "FreeBSD Mail List" <freebsdmaillist@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap Partitions

The swap partition is similar to Window's virtual memory.  Basically, when
your ram fills up or starts to get full, the os moves some of that
information from the ram to the swap partition.  This allows you to have
more processes running at once.  They also run more quickly.  I would agree
with the standard double ram size for the swap partition.  This is how I
understand the swap partition.  If I am wrong, please someone correct me.
Sincerely,

Preston