Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2000 21:23:38 -0400
From:      Bigwillie <mvanberk@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip aliasing

--=====================_7421111==_.ALT

Set the gateway in windows to fbsd internal ip and dns to your isp's dns
server and you should be cruising......

At 09:06 PM 9/1/00 , you wrote:
>my FBSD box is my internet gateway (firewall/gateway/connection to net),
>my win98se box is set to private IP addy,
>ok, i am on a cable modem (@home) and they are on a DHCP network, the only
>thing that stays the same is the HOSTNAME,
>if in that confiuration, how am i supposed to setup (in windows) my
>gateway in network properties, also the DNS in on the otherside of my FBSD
>computer, how am i supposed to setup my DNS and Gateway???
>i can ping my FBSD system by computer name and both IP's (internal and
>external), i cant ping anything else
>
>anyone have any clues
>my /etc/rc.conf looks like this:
>network_interfaces="rl0 vr0"
>ifconfig_vr0-"inet 192.168.1.1netmask 255.255.255.0"
>defaultrouter="DHCP"
>hostname="c158580-a"
>gateway_enable="YES"
>
>my  looks like this:
>interface "rl0" {
>send host-name "cr123456-a";
>request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
>           domain-name-servers, domain-name, time-servers;
>require domain-name-servers;
>}
>
>my /etc/hosts looks like this:
>127.0.0.1        localhost.yowza.com localost    #dont know how but this
>works properly which was set as default with the OS
>192.168.1.2        mrboboo-2    #this works fine also, i can ping the
>windows machine by comp name and internal IP
>

>if anyone knows how to get windows to work properly with dynamic DNS and
>GATEWAY info, then pllez help
>or if they know of a better way than to configure it, like if i am trying
>to do it incorrectly
>
>Rob Wideman

Steiny's Studio
Pachyderm Productions
http://steiny.hypermart.net
--=====================_7421111==_.ALT

Set the gateway in windows to fbsd internal ip and dns to your isp's dns
server and you should be cruising......<br>
At 09:06 PM 9/1/00 , you wrote:<br>
internet gateway (firewall/gateway/connection to net), my win98se box is
set to private IP addy,</font><br>
ok, i am on a cable modem (@home) and they are on a DHCP network, the
only thing that stays the same is the HOSTNAME, <br>
if in that confiuration, how am i supposed to setup (in windows) my
gateway in network properties, also the DNS in on the otherside of my
FBSD computer, how am i supposed to setup my DNS and Gateway???<br>
i can ping my FBSD system by computer name and both IP's (internal and
external), i cant ping anything else<br>
&nbsp;<br>
my /etc/rc.conf looks like this: <br>
network_interfaces=&quot;rl0 vr0&quot;<br>
ifconfig_vr0-&quot;inet <i>192.168.1.1</i>netmask
defaultrouter=&quot;DHCP&quot;<br>
hostname=&quot;c158580-a&quot;<br>
gateway_enable=&quot;YES&quot;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
send host-name &quot;cr123456-a&quot;;<br>
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
domain-name-servers, domain-name, time-servers;<br>
require domain-name-servers;<br>
}<br>
127.0.0.1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; localhost.yowza.com
localost&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #dont know how but this works properly which
was set as default with the OS<br>
192.168.1.2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
mrboboo-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #this works fine also, i can ping the windows
machine by comp name and internal IP<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
properly with dynamic DNS and GATEWAY info, then pllez help</font><br>
or if they know of a better way than to configure it, like if i am trying
to do it incorrectly<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;</blockquote><br>