Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 07:20:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Webmaster <webmaster@iqindia.com>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW Mirror Server

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Webmaster wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are an ISP in Central India and would like to contribute to the Freebsd project by becoming a WWW mirror. We also noticed that there is no Indian mirror on your site.
>
> Please tell us how to go about this and what would be requirements in terms of hardware & software and what would be the formalities involved.

excellent to hear.

running a freebsd mirror has different requirements depending on whether
you feel the need to be a tier 1 or tier 2 mirror.

as a tier 1 mirror, you will need about 55G of disk, and at least another
10-20G over the next 12 months depending on releases.  fetch bandwidth is
typically low g4enerally - a few hundred megabytes a week, unless there is
a major release, in which case it can be several gigabytes in a week.

to run a complete freebsd site, you'd need to install rsync and cvsup to
fetch files.

hardware itself beyond disk space is not that big an issue.  a reasonable
amount of memory is needed (try to have more than 128M) for fetch purposes
but really this is dictated by the number of end users you have.

regards,

-jason