Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 21:58:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso8859-1?Q?Mattias_Bj=F6rk?= <thrawn@linux.nu>
To:        Robby Williamson <thundercat@tamu.edu>
Cc:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@ntplx.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Harddisk failure ?

Hi, again

Good day to avoid cops.  Crawl to school.

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Robby Williamson wrote:

> howdy guys.
>
> I have a BP6 with dual 500's. I am using the HPT366 controller and my onl=
> HD is a Seagate ST330630A. I have been running stable since 4.3 on it. I
> have had no rebooting problems. yet. =3D/

Hmm I have to fix my m/b with the vtt fix on www.bp6.com. It took me over
a year to discover it. I hade to change my powersupply to, that took some
time to discover as well. But now everything work except that the discs
produce this error, quite irritating.

> as far as getting that promise card, I would say not yes, but hell yes.(i=
> your budget can take it) the HPT controller is also notorious for screwin=
> up things in Win NT 5 (2000).

But I don't use the promise only the ata33, As I said before. It only
panics for me. But I havent tryed it latley so I can't tell if it works
with the current stable. But I can get the ata133 controller around 60$ or
less and I think that is quite resonable for my budget.

> this is where my help gets vague. About 2 months ago I read ( I think it =
was
> www.hardocp.com ) that there was a problem with IBM drives in that they a=
re
> only designed to run 8-10 hours a day. This was confirmed by an IBM tech
> person. any more time can cause the HD to fail. I assume a HD sending bad
> signals could reboot a machine. I will work on getting you a link.

I have heard it from other sources as well but I didn't pay mutch to it
until now when I hear it from you to. I think that it is fubar, but anyway
the best solution is properbly to avoid bying IBM discs in the future. At
least IDE discs. I will by western digital instead.

Well anyhow thanks for the research and answers once again. BTW I have
hade my people that have had problem with the IBM gxp 75 series of discs,
That the crashes after a while and you have to send it in to IBM or go to
the store where you bought it and wait for a while to get a new one?