Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:47:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Gurpratap Virdi <gvirdi@gvirdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Debugging kernel crashes

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Gurpratap Virdi wrote:

:Hi,
:
:
:I have the following questions related to the above instructions though.
:I understand we can use dumpon(8) to tell the kernel to dump the core file
:to a swap partition.  If our system is only configured with one swap
:partition, can we still point the kernel to this partition?  I mean would

Yes.  Your dump partition should be at least as large as your physical
memory.

:the core file get overwritten when the system reboots and uses the space as
:swap again. Now, supposedly the kernel is able to write the core file to the
:swap partition and the system reboots without overwriting the core file, how
:do we access the core file?

savecore(8) will copy the dump to /var/crash at startup.  /var/crash needs
to be big enough ot hold the dump, and the running kernel.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.