Date:      28 Jan 2003 19:35:41 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to set-up two 'defaultrouter' IPs?

> To create a somewhat redundant network connection, my friend has
> connected to business level ADSL connections at his home (32 IPs each).
> So, he has two routers, on two different networks (ATT/UUNET) and what
> he's doing is multi-homing his NIC cards and via some interesting DNS
> set-up, theoretically, there is some network redundancy or failover or
> something.
>
> Anyway, here's the question... how would I set-up two 'defaultrouter'
> IPs in my rc.conf? Is that were I would do such a thing? I'd like to
> have the same scenario that he's building with a multi-homed NIC and two
> IPs per VirtualHost directive. I guess there are actually many steps to
> accomplish this (as I now start to think about it) but I'm wondering how
> to set-up the networking piece first.
>
> Many thanks in advance,

Two truly default routes is not really sensical.  You generally play
games based on source address, TCP port, or something like that, and
make sure that they NAT separately.  [It has to involve NAT, because
for networks that small, you can't get routes distributed widely
enough to do true multihoming.]

So the answer depends on exactly what hack you want to do.