Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:16:53 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Kent Ketell <kketell@juniper.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID Controllers Supported?

Kent Ketell wrote:

> I started a really large cvs checkout onto the raid-5 filesystem and yanked
> one of the drives.  The hot-spare came into play perfectly, but there was no
> indication at the operating system level that anything untoward had
> happened.
> This is not good.

Sorry, I thought I'd made it quite plain - there is _no_ interaction between
the DPT raid controller and FreeBSD, other than FreeBSD see's the DPT's
'logical' drive(s) (created from physical drivers).

> Does anyone have a pointer to make the syslog work, or should I look
> elsewhere
> for my Raid solutions?

Maybe you should look at Vinum? - The only problem is that it won't yet let
you boot from a protected 'logical' (i.e. RAID) drive - and AFAIK you may have
a hard time getting your root filesystem running from a Vinum volume (until
it's nearer completion).

Simon Shapiro (who originally wrote the DPT drivers) was working on FreeBSD
tools, I don't beleive he's finished them but I haven't spoken to him for ages
- maybe drop him an email? mailto:shimon@simon-shapiro.org - His website is
still at
http://www.simon-shapiro.org/dpt_drivers.html

Regards,