Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:05:52 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:18:21AM -0500, Craig Reyenga wrote:
> Sorry for butting in, but my $.02 is that 386's are old enough that
> FreeBSD, or any other OS for that matter, shouldn't wait up for them.

Why not?  An OS in itself should not require a lot of CPU power.

> They've gotten to the point where they are basically useless except
> for running older software, which was likely written for them anyways.

They are not useless, and if new software has problems running on them
it is mostly because a lot of new software is big and bloated without
any good reason except for lazy/incompetent programmers.

> If I had a 386 that I wanted FreeBSD on, I'd crack open the old FreeBSD 3.5
> install CD's, assuming it even had a cdrom drive.
>
> I understand why people care about supporting older hardware. Reasons
> such as cost, and the ability to allow code bloat to _really_ manifest
> itself
> come to mind. However, a 386 is just too old for words and should
> be running older software with less features.

Less features and more security problems.  Considering that security
fixes normally don't get applied to the 3.x branch any longer one might
want to be a bit careful running that on a computer connected to the
Net.  Eventually I assume that 4. will be similarily abandoned which
means that you will have to run 5.x to have a secure system.

Personally I strongly disagree with the notion that hardware that is a
mere 10 years old (like some '386s) should be considered "too old for
words".

The only remotely good reason I have heard for removing support for 386
in the default configuration is that having it in would pessimize
performance too much for more modern CPUs.  How valid that reason is I
cannot judge, but I guess it is possible.

(And just FYI, my 386 box is happily running 4.7-stable at the moment
without any problems and I will probably consider updating it to 5.x
when security fixes are no longer automatically applied to 4.x.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson