Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:58:09 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        Haifeng <haifeng@ms.lawton.com.cn>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about the apache virtual server

On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 08:07:05PM +0900, Haifeng wrote:
> Hi:
> I meet a stranger problem ,I install Apache 1.3.0 on my freebsd server, I run it, everything is ok ,now I want to set server virutal web server on it (I use name based virtual host),when I add the name based virual host in the http.conf, I restart the server , I found the virtual server and the origin point to same html , I don't know why, I delete the name based virtual host from the http.conf, everythinf is ok,
> i attach my http.conf,

This probably isn't strictly a FreeBSD-questions question, but .....

There have been some changes in the way you configure virtual hosts between
1.2.x and 1.3.0. Read the latest server documentation. I believe you need
to use the 'NameVirtualHost' directive to specify explicitly which IP address
to use if the box has more than one IP address. (You may need it anyway -
I'm not sure.) You also may need to use the FULL host name if it's an internal
website - if you're on machine 'box1.mycorp.com' trying to access
'www.mycorp.com' typing http://www/ (which worked before virtual hosts)
won't work unless you set up virtual host entries for 'www' _and_
'www.mycorp.com'.

(I don't know if all of this is actually documented on the Apache site, I
found out quite a bit of this through trial and error...)

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |