Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:22:47 -0500
From:      ravi pina <ravi@cow.org>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Designing server: help needed

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:52:57PM -0500, Charles Swiger said at one point in time:
> Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
> > [sorry for crosspost, as far as I'm not sure if -stable@ is appropriate list]
>
> Probably not, but that's okay.
>
> > I need to assemble server for some memory/disk/CPU-consuming tasks.
> > I've already decided these parts:
> >
> > CPU: 2xP-IV 2GHz
> > RAM: 512Mb
> > Motherboard: ServerWorks SE7500CW2
>
> Without identifying the tasks, it's hard for anyone else to give you specific
> advice.  But I suspect that for most purposes, a single CPU with more memory
> would probably work out better.  SMP adds a lot of cost-- you've gotta get P3's
> or Xenon's, right, not normal P4's, to do SMP, as well as the dual-proc
> motherboard?

what i was thinking.

i have a system running 4.7-STABLE.  i have a mylex
single channel scsi raid controller with two level1
arrays and a 3ware 7410 using 4 targets in a level5
array.

everything is 133 bus -- gig of ram, dual p3/800.

this machien holds up rather well for my user base
and web traffic.

-r

--
echo "send pgp key" | mail ravi@cow.org
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not