Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:20:55 -0700
From:      "Ulairi" <ulairi@jps.net>
To:        "Derek Jewett" <djewett@snowcrest.net>
Cc:        "Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: LDAP jargon....

Not so much of an LDAP directory, but a directory service that speaks
LDAP v3 (all of 11 verbs of it).
Novell's NDS (which they have now, rather wisely, decided to make into
a stand-alone product) maybe just the solution you need.
They have the Novell-native version, the NT-native version, and the
Sun Solaris-native. Linux/HP-UX versions are in the works, they claim
for them to be out by the end of this year.

We'll be taking a long hard look at NDS, and we're having the Novell
tech guys come out to our place and give us their "dog and pony show".

Then again, most of what Novell pawns off as their own special thing I
see in the OSF DCE's CDSd of the late 80's, early 90's - where many
people believed it to be too heavy-weight.

If you're interested, I'll keep you updated as to how the meeting
went.
So far, we run MacOS/NT/HP-UX/FreeBSD/Linux/Sun Solaris and we believe
that NDS will allow us to use it as a central repository for config
data for these OSes. We shall see how it goes, though.

General Purpose Computer Geek
California State University, Northridge
College of Engineering and Computer Science
18111 Nordhoff St, Post Stop 8295
Northridge, CA 91330
ulairi@jps.net <mailto:ulairi@jps.net>
ulairi@ecs.csun.edu <mailto:ulairi@ecs.csun.edu>
ntadmin@ecs.csun.edu <mailto:ntadmin@ecs.csun.edu>
secadmin@ecs.csun.edu <mailto:secadmin@ecs.csun.edu>

| This may not be the correct place but here goes:
|
| Does anyone else out there claiming the fame of enterprise
| admin, see a need
| for a "universal directory service"??? In my shop we got Unix
| (BSD, AIX,
| Linux), Novell, NT, AS/400, Unisys, and other IBM hosts.. Am
| I the only one
| that sees an immediate need for LDAP in the enterprise...??
|
| I would like to hear from others that have been on the quest for an
| "integrated enterprise", and what successes, or failures you
| have had.. Is
| there any light at the end of the ldap tunnel? Has anyone
successfully