Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:25:31 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Craig Reyenga" <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>
Cc:        "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Christopher J Olson" <chriso@tamu.edu>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <ianf@za.uu.net>
Subject:   Re: Any ideas at all about network problem?

At 10:33 PM -0500 2002/12/04, Craig Reyenga wrote:

>  Unfortunately, I have no extra hardware available to me, so I can't
>  experiment with switches and whatnot. Also, wouldn't some sort
>  of software experimentation be more appropriate, considering that
>  my existing setup works _perfetcly_ in 4.7?

	At the very least, try hard-wiring the configuration at both ends
to be 100Mbps full-duplex.  There's a chance that 4.7 and 5.0 will
handle auto-negotiation differently.

	Other than that, you should try swapping out as much hardware as
you can -- the cards, the cables, etc....  If possible, you should
also test with other computers (in case the problem is with one
specific machine when it is running 5.0).

	Just because something appears to work perfectly in another OS is
not an indication that there is not anything wrong with that setup.
If that was the case, there would never be a need for any replacement
for any Microsoft OSes, because many vendors stop trying to debug the
problem when they can prove that things work just fine under Windows.

>                                                I'm not sure what to do;
>  should I be trying various versions of if_rl.c? Or is there something
>  else that I should be trying?

	If you really want to try swapping software, you'll have to do a
binary search on each potential piece of software involved.

	However, since there are many potential software components that
could be involved, while testing each component individually between
now and then should theoretically be doable in 10 tests (as
previously mentioned), the combinatorial explosion will be
exceptionally nasty.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>