Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:11:10 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        <chris@aims.com.au>
Cc:        "'Nate Williams'" <nate@yogotech.com>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

> I had a similar problem, especially with different FreeBSD 4.x boxes (4.1.1,
> 4.2, 4.3, 4.4-stable after dirpref merge) and with Windows NT systems, but
> the crap performance was only1 limited to FTP. SSH, NFS and CVS operations
> were all fine.

We're not using any of the other listed services, but we are using both
FTP and WWW, and both show decreased performance.  (However, the latter
may be a configuration issue, so it may be irrelevant.)

>The pre-4.3 boxes are all using RTL8029 cards, and the 4.3+
> boxes are all Intel 8255x-based cards. The laptop has 4.4-stable and a
> D-Link DFE-650. The poor performance showed up in interactions with the
> 100Mbit/s cards (Intel, D-Link).

I'm using an fxp cards, as described in the email to Peter.

> They have all disappeared since I've
> explicitly set the links to 100Mbit/s with full-duplex. The switches and
> hubs are all 10/100 D-Links.

I've messed with auto-negotiations.  The funny thing is that performance
on the LAN segment is quite good, it's that non-LAN performance is poor.

> My guess is that the autonegotiation feature of both the fxp and ed drivers
> somehow adversely affects FTP.

Hmm, I can hard-code and see what happens.  I did mess with the
autonegotiation stuff initially, and it didn't seem to make any
difference.

I will try again.

Nate