Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:26:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Zviratko <q@seznam.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet bonding/load balancing on fbsd 4-stable

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Zviratko wrote:

> Hi,
> is there a preferred way to do ethernet load balancing? My situation is - 2
> cable modems connected to two ethernet cards on with a machine functioning
> as a NAT gateway for LAN. I tried netgraph (ng_ether with round robin and
> ng_fec). With ng_ether, I achieved packets being sent via one interface and
> received on another one(not what I want), ng_fec didn't work at all (it just
> silently dropped all outgoing packets).

ng_fec needs a cisco at the other end (or possibly another freebsd
machine with ng_fec but I don't know that).

> Is there another way? I already did this with linux (by using bond.c
> similiar to ng_fec) and it worked under the same conditions.
> Any advice would be appreciated.

if your outgoing packets are going to different hosts (and not just one)
you could try:

ipfw add 1000 fwd {remote 1} ip from any to 0.0.1.0:0.0.1.0 out xmit fxp1
ipfw add 1001 fwd {remote 2} ip from any to 0.0.0.0:0.0.1.0 out xmit fxp1

where "remote 1" and "remote 2" are the gateways on each cable modem,
(or some address that will make them go to different ports)
and fxp1 is the interface tha the routing table would make them go out of
normally.

alternatively, the netgraph approach should work but I'm guessing
that you've set up something wrong..
what is your configuration?