Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:47:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To:        Richard Ward <mh@neonsky.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.3.0p1 --without-pam

You're building from the openssh.org-distributed "multiplatform" 2.3.0p1,
right?

Sounds like you hit a think-o that I hit last night as well - first you
just did "./configure" and "make", realized that pam was something you
really didn't want (in my case I was upgrading ssh on an old 3.4-RELEASE
system that I didn't want to do a full make world on, and was getting pam
errors when trying to auth), so you went back to your 2.3.0p1 directory
and did a "./configure --without-pam", and a "make", without doing a
"make clean".  The "make clean" was something I found necessary to clean
out all references to pam in the object files; I also had to add -lcrypt
to the LIBS line in the Makefile, in case you get errors at link time
about not being able to find crypt.

	Brian