Date:      10 Jan 2003 08:29:01 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Mike" <massey@rmci.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Drive Image / Cloning

"Mike" <massey@rmci.net> writes:

> This will copy all files and make it bootable? Sorry but the search on
> dd have no shown what I need.

I've used (and tested) something like this
    "dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad0s2 bs=<bytes per cyl>"
to transfer an OS, but I recently tried it to a second disk and
couldn't get the new partitions to mount.  Don't know the reason.
The two slices seemed to be identical down to CHS numbers (but
they were on different portions of differently-sized disks).

When you "newfs", consider whether you want to add "-U".

I use "-a" on my dump, but I supect it's unneeded with "-f-".