Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:35:12 -0500
From:      Gary <gv-list-freebsdquestions@mygirlfriday.info>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linking a dir

Hello Mike,

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:58:31 AM, you wrote:

>> dev/ad0s1a    128990   86254   32418    73%    /
>>
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel.GENERIC
>>
>> I don't know which kernel is being used... Deleting one would surely help.

MM> Unless you're specifying it at boot, you can safely remove kernel.GENERIC.

How do I know which one is being loaded, can't seem to find it in dmesg.

>> Good question. This is a production Mail / DNS server (using qmail and
>> djbdns), so I have logs in /etc (by the default run script) minimally at
>> 100K each x10 (before they rotate out) for each of SMTP, SEND, another
>> SMTP, axfrdns, tinydns, dnscache, 2 rbls, and maybe one more... the SMTP
>> and SEND logs are at 250k each of 10... so you see how this can add up...

MM> I run postfix and BIND, so I'm not particularly familiar with those
MM> packages. I would think that there's some facility in those programs to
MM> specify a more appropriate place (like /var/log).

Yes I can rebuild the files, or just link them to another place.

MM> Alternatively, if your logs are rotated by newsyslog, you could keep
MM> fewer log files and/or use bzip2 compression on the old ones. If not,
MM> you could write a shell script to accomplish the same thing. bzip2
MM> gets my 500K maillogs down to ~35K, and I also keep 10 of them, so the
MM> savings is significant.

Have not tried newsyslog, as the scripts rotate them automatically.. will
do so.. thanks for this.

MM> The problem I have with this is 250K*10 and 100K*10 only adds up to 3.5M,
MM> hardly enough to take up the remainder of your partition.

Then multiple that by another 10 for each process... SMTP, SEND, DNSCACHE,
RBL1 RBL, IMAPS, etc... 10 logs are kept for each process, and there are
10 different processes which usually takes a day to 1 1/2 days to fully
rotate out.

MM> Do you have anything hanging around in /root?

Root is only 384K...

I just found it, thanks to Viktor Lazlo who suggested I use the du command... I
found that 40658 of the 128990 1k blocks used, is being used by my
IMAPS server which has its bin, doc, and man dirs under /opt

This is the culprit... I can now move that out and link it... as a
shortcut.. When I build from source, I did not notice where it went... I
could have changed it then... A lesson for me...

Thanks for all your help...

--
Best regards,
 Gary