Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 15:47:16 -0500
From:      Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: belkin omniview kvm switch lockup

Sam,
I have often been plagued by my KVM getting stuck.
I have an ATen CS-106 Master View.

Current failure mode is when the 4.6-RC kernel is stopped in the
debugger over the serial port, if I switch to the look at the screen,
I get stuck.

I have seen this on other machines running loonix, with the same KVM.

I have also noticed that if I reboot a machine, the BIOS has to get
past a certain spot before the KVM will switch.

I find that I can wait a while and it eventually switches.  Sometimes.
In combination with turning on and off the power on the KVM and hitting
the switches from different angles and sacrificing small animals on the
keyboard.

I'd love to hear an explanation of what is causing this.

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:58:33PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> I'm having problems with a belkin 2-port ps/2 omniview switch (F1DS102P).  I
> have two machines connected; one running win2K the other freebsd-stable.  I
> boot the win2k machine first and everything is ok--kbd and mouse work, the
> port switches on the front work, and the hotswap keys are accessible.  I
> power on the freebsd system (an emachines box) and things work at the bios
> level but once -stable boots the kvm is stuck on the port where the freebsd
> machine is hooked.  Front panel switches are inoperable and the hotswap keys
> are inaccessible.  If I pull the keyboard and mouse cables for the freebsd
> box then I can switch to the port where the win2k machine is located but the
> keyboard is not usable (I can use the mouse to shutdown the machine).  The
> only way to reset the kvm is to power everything down and yank cables (the
> kvm gets power from the ps/2 ports).
>
> Seems like the -stable atkdb driver is somehow confusing the kvm.  Belkin
> "tech support" has no clues (the switch firmware is flash upgradable but no
> updates on the web site look worth trying).
>
> Has anyone used this switch w/ non-windows and/or non-mac systems w/ any
> success?  I tried fiddling with the flags on atkbdc to reset/not-reset on
> boot w/ no effect.
>
>     Sam

Damon Permezel
dap@damon.com