Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 12:41:26 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        "David Wassman" <dmwassman@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound server issue

--Boundary-02=_WZhmAp9wRggfORZ

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 18:06, David Wassman wrote:
> I finally got it working using the manual settings in the LINT file. My
> last question is how to configure the secondary DMA channel. The man
> pages for sbc:
>
> 	The value of flags specifies the secondary DMA channel.  If the
> secondary DMA channel is C, set the flags to (C | 0x10). For a sound
> card without the secondary DMA channel, the flags should be set to
> zero.
>
> This is the sbc0 I am using
>
> 	device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
>
> I know the settings for the card (they are set in the BIOS). It has a 8
> bit channel at DMA 1 and a 16-bit at DMA 5. Am I right in guessing that
> [drq 1] is the DMA designation? And then how do you get the second DMA
> channel active?

man device.hints explains that drq is the DMA channel number. You enable th=
e=20
secondary DMA channel 5 by passing "flags 0x15" to the sound driver.
If i read the ess.c source correctly, for pcm-playback, the secondary DMA=20
channel only will be used in duplex mode. The interesting point is that=20
duplex mode is disabled by default in the ess driver. The author of the=20
program writes: /* audio2 never generates irqs and sounds very noisy */=20

> I think I only have 8-bit sound as wav files are=20
> sounding pretty crappy. Am I right in thinking that the man page should
> read like this:

Did you try to overide the default sound device in your apps to /dev/dspW0.=
0=20
or /dev/dspW0.1? man pcm describes how to play around with the DMA=20
bufferspace size.
Details of the ESS1869 are available in the chipset specs:
http://www.diamondsystems.com/files/binaries/ES1869techmanual.pdf

> 	If the secondary DMA channel is C (where C is the number of the
> DMA channel) then set the flags to (C | 0x10)

Yes, the bitwise or ensures that bit 4 in flags is set.

> Or is C a DMA channel of some weird type?

no :-) maybe C means Channel.

regards
ch=20