Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:43:47 -0000
From:      "Andy [TECC NOPS]" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
To:        "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Filtering connections to ftpd by mac address ?

because the router is the gateway. When packets
enter your LAN from the outside world they are
actually coming from the ethernet port of your
router. The IP address will appear to have come
from the outside, but mac addresses are always
local to the LAN they travel on. That's why routers
are called just that, they route packets across LANs
(mainly).

Ak