Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:15:41 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <mitayai@aecinfo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <tech@aecinfo.com>
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem

At 09:52 AM 2/8/99 , Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:
>as an addendum, i have a hypothesis which is untried (i have to wait until
>my colleague Ed tries this from home, but if you think it won;t work or
>there is a better suggestion, please let me know).
>
>If we connect the box via win95 and run winipcfg, will it report the
>dynamically assigned IP, gateway, and netmask?

Are you asking, or stating? Anyways, if it's all dynamically assigned, then
you need to get a DHCP client for your FreeBSD machine. visit
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html for a DHCP client and
http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/index.htm for information on setting
one up.

>>I was wondering if anyone has had much success connecting via the so-called
>>"cable modem".

Tons of people.

>>The IP is relatively static, however finding the gateway and netmask is
>>being quite the chore.

By "relatively static" I assume it moves every few days/hours/weeks or so..

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )