Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:14:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "S. Nickels" <snickels@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-OS setup....

> I've handled this situation two different ways
>
> (1) make one hard drive the primary master & other one the secondary master,
>      then disable in BIOS the one I don't want to boot
>
> (2) put one hard drive in one of those generic $25 removable hard drive
> cradles
>      and use the switch to turn the drive on / off
>
> > As your webpage said, I'm not exactly sure where to post this question, so
> > here it is for you guys. :)
> > I've been running Linux for a while but have recently moved to FreeBSD.
> > I also run a number of applications in Windows. On my Linux
> > setup, I had a 4GB drive running Linux, and a 2GB drive running Windows.
> > However, the setup I used was a little bizarre; when I installed Windows
> > on the second drive, I had connected that drive as the primary and only
> > drive, so Windows wouldn't start doing anything weird with the other
> > drive. So, both drives ended up having boot sectors.
> > In Linux, all I had to do was point Lilo to the other drive, and the
> > other drive's boot sector would take care of the rest. But I can't seem to
> > get that to work under BSD. (BSD now occupies the space that Linux did;
> > Windows is still where it was) Through the /stand/sysinstall routine, I've
> > tried every combination of setting the Windows drive bootable or not, and
> > creating a new master boot record, or not creating a master boot record,
> > and every time I go to reboot, if I choose the windows drive, the system
> > just hangs. I can boot into windows if I hook up the windows drive as
> > primary, but right now that's the only way.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > --Steve Nickels
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Stephen Nickels
> > snickels@u.washington.edu
> > http://students.washington.edu/snickels
> > ---------------------------------------

There is a third (I think easier) solution. Put the boot easy boot loader
on both hard disks. It lets you choose to boot from the second harddisk by
hitting F5 and then gives you another menu with the partitions on the
second drive.
You can install boot easy with a dosutil (bootinst.exe) on the non-BSD
drive. You find the program in the directory tools on the first CD.

Marc

--
Marc Schneiders
marc@oldserver.demon.nl