Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:47:45 -0700
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@nospamthanx.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Authenticated MAIL for roaming users

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 07:34:29AM -0500, GB Clark II wrote:
> On Sunday 07 October 2001 18:12, BSD Freak wrote:
> >
> > I have romaing users, that dial up to a varity of ISPs and I have the
> > problem of having to change their outgoing mail setting depending on
> > where they are going to be.
>
> I've got a perl script that parses my popusers.log file, pulls out the last
> IP addresses for the users, creates a text file and adds these to the access
> db for sendmail.  The only changes to a stock system are make pop syslog to a

Then, however, you have to open pop up to the world.  While better
than opening SMTP to the world, it isn't very desirable.  I would like
to use IPSec + the built in IPSec cababilities of Win2k to create
secure access to the mail server for roaming users.

Getting Win2k connected over IPSec from a static IP was no problem (I
used a howto from DaemonNews, I think), but is there a way to do this
with roaming users whos IPs change as the wind blows?  I assume that
there is; I haven't spent much time looking into it, yet.

What I'm really not sure about though, is how, if possible, to restrict
access to network services to only VPN-authenticated clients.  I use
ipfw to block connections from networks external to our own.  I would
like the roaming laptop users to be able to connect over IPSec from
anywhere, and have access to IMAP & SMTP, etc.

I know that this is an issue that others are dealing with too.  Does
anyone know of any reference material on how to go about this?

Thanks,

Brent

--
https://kearneys.ca/contacts?user=brent