Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:43:45 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: Could somebody expalin commit process?

Hello, Brian! As I can see, your are Ok. Am I right?
Monday, October 22, 2001, 2:47:54 AM, you wrote:

>>   Some my PRs about ports (like libxml2 and libxslt) was commited to
>>   CVS on next day after sending, and some doesn't commited for months
>>   (I've send TWO PRs for russian/apache13 port, for example --
>>   versions are changed faster, than commits are occurred).
>>   Could somebody explain me commit politic?
BTS> I don't think it's politics, really.  I mean, I'm sure that sometimes that
BTS> comes into it, but in generally simpler than that:

BTS> Different committers commit different areas of the code.  Naturally, areas
BTS> that affect all users (like libraries) will tend to have a larger number of
BTS> people prepared to commit them, whereas as more specialized code (like the
BTS> language-specific ports) will have fewer.  Very few Americans or western
BTS> Europeans, for example, can read Russian, and they aren't going to feel
BTS> comfortable with committing a change that they couldn't test or perhaps even
BTS> understand.
  Will patches be committed faster, if thew was sent by maintainer of
  the port?
  Could I become maintainer of port, if current maintainer doesn't
  answer on e-mails?

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |