Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:58:41 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Steve Fagan <sfagan@pmr.com>, msilver@sc.rr.com, "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

On Thu 2000-08-03 (05:32), Doug Young wrote:
> I'm totally in favour of regular folks writing HOWTO docs, could never
> understand
> the logic of  giving the job to propellorheads who write stuff that only
> others of their ilk can comprehend. For some reason there appears to be a
> taboo in FreeBSD against "step by step" instructions

As a documentor for the FDP, I have to say that there is no taboo
against any form of coherent documentation, and that I personally find
it very disconcerting when the documents of the project, including my
efforts ("The FreeBSD Booting Process", "Users and Basic Account
Management", and "Disks" chapters in the handbook, to name the most
recent) are commented against without any form of a) notification, b)
suggestions, and c) content.

All of our time is split between many tasks, and content-generation is
possibly the biggest time spender you can find.  If you really want to
help out, submit your suggestions and content via send-pr (or, if you
can't figure that out, to doc@FreeBSD.org), so that we know that people
are reading things, and so we can improve things.

Let me repeat my offer to any and all - if you generate the content, I
will give suggestions, edit it, mark it up, and put it into the
documentation project.  You can submit in text or HTML, and I might even
consider postscript or LaTeX.  Don't let any pretense that there is a
cost of admission fool you - just write it, and it will be considered.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems