Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 20:49:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        "Andre' Carvalho" <Andre.Carvalho@megamedia.pt>
Cc:        "'ports@FreeBSD.ORG'" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nntp

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Andre' Carvalho wrote:

> How do I install nntp?
>
> I thought that when I downloaded it I would get a -tgz file (easy to install).
>
> But I got a few drectories and a Makefile.

Yes, it's the intention of the freebsd ports section, do download
only these few files.

Later the make utility tries to figure out, if it's also necessary,
to fetch the sources via ncftp.

But since most people have bought FreeBSD on cdrom, the sources
can be found in /cdrom/ports/distfiles.

So your very first action might be:

	# mount /cdrom
	# mkdir -p /usr/ports/distfiles
	# cd /usr/ports/distfiles
	# ln -s /cdrom/ports/distfiles/* .

After that make should be able to find most of the sources
on you system... So there is no need to setup slip or ppp
to make an internet connection, to fetch the sources from a
ftp server...

> When I make it, it gets a tar.gz from freeBSD site and when it
> tries to compile it it sopts saying one file is missing.
>
> What can I do?
>
> And if it finishes What do I get?

Possibly the port is out of date ...
I'll try that for you, just a moment...
Oh nntp depends on cnews lib.... that's sick (sorry).
Use inn ! It's better than cnews and is an nntp server for
your site, too.

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -