Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 22:48:06 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Jim Fleming <JimFleming@unety.net>
Cc:        "'Bill Fenner'" <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, "terry@lambert.org" <terry@lambert.org>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Check IP Version

> Of course in C+@nIP (or IPv8 as some call it)...we only use the single high bit
> of the IP version field as a flag. The other three bits of the version field are
> borrowed for other purposes along with the Header Length and Checksum fields.
> This does not exactly follow the "spec" but it provides us with the flags we
> need to grow our way out of the suppsed IP address shortage.

So I guess there can't be an IPv9..?

Of course the real problem is not a shortage of addresses, it's a
surplus of globally visible routes and their associated dyanmic
behavior which default-less routers on the Internet have to deal with.
There's oodles of space in the class-A space available.

What IPv6 does is promote easy renumbering to allow for much higher
degrees of route aggregation.

louie