Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 02:21:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Yimin Hsiao <yihsiao@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Yimin Hsiao wrote:

> 	I just installed FreeBSD 2.2, and I have some problems
> 	I built my own kernel successfully, but one time I hit
> Ctrl-Alt-Del while in # prompt.  There was no response, so I rebooted
> the computer.  When I entered FreeBSD the second time, the boot message
> was pretty long, containing messages like "automatic reboot", etc.  Then
> it just froze up.  I had to hit Ctrl-C to get to the login: prompt.
> Please help me out.  I don't want to have to hit Ctrl-C every time I
> boot.

This is caused by a failing nameserver lookup.  Make sure the name of the
machine is defined in /etc/hosts, and modify /etc/host.conf to read

hosts
bind

> 	Also can you tell me how I can access other harddrives in
> FreeBSD.  I have one FAT harddrive that contains package and XFree86
> that I want to install to FreeBSD, and I tried using the
> /stand/sysinstall, but it wouldn't install them for me.  It said it
> couldn't find the file INDEX under package, but I double checked and it
> was there on that harddrive.  I'm sure I specified the right harddrive,
> it was my primary slave and chose the primary drive (wd0) in the "media"
> submenu.  It couldn't install XFree either.  Is there any way that I can
> just access the harddrive myself and install manually?

Once you get rebooted, run

mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /mnt

to bring that disk online at /mnt.  Then extract the pieces you want by
running 'tar xzf file' from /usr/X11R6.

Or, re-run sysinstall (/stand/sysinstall).