Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 02:37:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        "James F. Schmidt" <jschmidt@cessys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba & Network Backup

(Please fix your line-length when mailing.  Thanks.)

> We have installed Samba with a share of the entire FreeBSD drive
> e.g.: "/". I can browse the Samba share with no problems and would
> like to use an NT workstation as the primary means of backing up the
> FreeBSD installation with our DAT backup drive over the local
> network.
>
> Although this all works fine, if I ever had to restore files, would
> there be any file translation issues like with binaries and file
> attributes?

I'd probably try to log all file-permissions to a separate file, too.
A ls -lR / > /root/permissions before backup should do the trick.  (If
everything go away, you at least know what they were, and can convert
back with a little trouble.)

Eivind.