Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:02:30 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [FBSD-Q] Type header???

In the last episode (Jun 12), greeves said:
> subscribe send a notation header to sort on. For instance, If I send
> a posting to NT Security about a new port attack, and put "New Port
> Attack" in the subject line of my post, it will arrive from the
> listserv like this:
>
> [NTSEC] New Port Attack
>
> Obviously, using the subject this way allows people (often me as
> well, depending on what area of the shop I'm working in that day) who
> can't filter automatically by sender or relay points to scan the
> subjects quickly, and thereby determine if the mails can wait, or
> whether a given email may be customer related.

I dislike mailinglists messing with my subject header.  It wastes 7 (in
your example) characters in the subject and screws up replies (I've
seen Re: [mysql] Re: [mysql] Re: [mysql] in one list) and list
crossposts.

What's wrong with installing Procmail and filtering on "Sender:"?, or
bugging the author of your email package to allow filtering on
arbitrary headers?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com