Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:59:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Martin Aherron <martin@cybernetics.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISP driver questions

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Martin Aherron wrote:

> Matthew I assume these questions are for you.
>
> 1) Is there an easy way to set the debug level that the ISP driver uses at
> board initialization time?

For -current and -stable they're different.

For -stable, add

isp_debug=0xXXXX

to /boot/loader.conf or set it from the 'ok' prompt in the loader. This sets
debug values for all instances.

For -current, add

hint.isp.N.debug=0xXXXX

to /boot/device.hints or set this at the 'ok' prompt. This will set the debug
value for instance N of isp.

The value 0xXXXX can be tweaked according to the values seen in ispvar.h-
these are masks by which messages from the driver are printed.

#define ISP_LOGALL      0x0     /* log always */
#define ISP_LOGCONFIG   0x1     /* log configuration messages */
#define ISP_LOGINFO     0x2     /* log informational messages */
#define ISP_LOGWARN     0x4     /* log warning messages */
#define ISP_LOGERR      0x8     /* log error messages */
#define ISP_LOGDEBUG0   0x10    /* log simple debug messages */
#define ISP_LOGDEBUG1   0x20    /* log intermediate debug messages */
#define ISP_LOGDEBUG2   0x40    /* log most debug messages */
#define ISP_LOGDEBUG3   0x80    /* log high frequency debug messages */
#define ISP_LOGDEBUG4   0x100   /* log high frequency debug messages */
#define ISP_LOGTDEBUG0  0x200   /* log simple debug messages (target mode) */
#define ISP_LOGTDEBUG1  0x400   /* log intermediate debug messages (target) */
#define ISP_LOGTDEBUG2  0x800   /* log all debug messages (target) */

The default is ISP_LOGINFO|ISP_LOGWARN|ISP_LOGERR. If you boot
verbose (-v or boot_verbose=YES) ISP_LOGCONFIG is added.

> 2) This following is not a complaint but curiosity. Any clues as to why the
>      following code is needed?
>
> 	case XPT_GET_TRAN_SETTINGS:
> 		cts = &ccb->cts;
> 		tgt = cts->ccb_h.target_id;
> 		CAMLOCK_2_ISPLOCK(isp);
> 		if (IS_FC(isp)) {
> 			/*
> 			 * a lot of normal SCSI things don't make sense.
> 			 */
> 			cts->flags = CCB_TRANS_TAG_ENB | CCB_TRANS_DISC_ENB;
> 			cts->valid = CCB_TRANS_DISC_VALID | CCB_TRANS_TQ_VALID;
> 			/*
>
>     I don't have a problem with doing what it takes to make things work.
>
>     For me seeing a tape drive report that it can do tagged queueing is
> like 	fingernails on a chalkboard - but I will get over it :)

Fibre Channel, but it's very nature, supports tags. I could just as easily
leave either off.

This is in the process of being cleaned up in -current with the NEW_TRAN_CODE
where specific transports have specific rulesets/informations.

-matt