Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:40:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "James E. Marker" <jemstone@triplet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Michael Slater <mikey@iexpress.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 and FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, James E. Marker wrote:

> I am using a 2940U and a 2940UW and the only problem I have had is they do
> not like to reboot.  This seems to be a problem with the adapter itself, not
> FreeBSD.  I also have a 2940U in a Windoze95 machine and it behaves the same
> way.  What it does on reboot is find all the devices, and then freeze up
> before it says the SCSI BIOS is loaded.  This hasn't been a problem for me
> since I don't do remote reboots, and my servers have been up for weeks.

I've got a similar problem with a 2940AU (or is it UA ?), except this one
just doesn't reset the bus or something and hence on reboot it finds no
devices until it's powered off for about 30 seconds.

I'm not sure if this problem is 2940AU specific, or just bad luck with the
2940AU I have, but it happens with any OS, not just FreeBSD.

I'd never buy another 2940AU though as they are the cheapest tackies
2940's available.

Most of the complaints about the driver seem to apply to other OS's as
well, maybe the card's just aren't up to adaptec marketing hype ?

	Steve

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342