Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:35:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        James Hokanson <hokanson@mail.wsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5 question...

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, James Hokanson wrote:

> Just wondering if FreeBSD 2.2.5 supports the:

> Matrox Millennium 2
> ViewSonic PT775 17" monitor

FreeBSD itself supports any standard VGA hardware (including monitors),
as FreeBSD itself only does text.  However for a graphical interface,
you're probably looking into using X Windows, and you'll need to check
with the author/vendors of your X Server to see if your hardware will work
with their software. A popular set of free X servers is XFree86 at
www.xfree86.org (easily found on the FreeBSD ftp site or cd-rom), they can
easily be installed from FreeBSD's setup program. There are also comercial
X Servers out there.  I'm fairly sure that the Millenium 2 and Viewsonic
stuff is supported by at least XFree86.

> Adaptec 2940UW (Ultra-Wide) SCSI controller

Yes, the 2940 and all of its variants (except for the Ultra2 models) are
well supported, and in fact have a mailing list dedicated to them.

> I would really appreciate any help you can give me on this hardware.

El hombre mas brillante dijo una vez "Cuidado hay NT". (it's a nerd thing)

- alex