Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:58:25 -0600
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD based web server farm design

Suppose I am building a web server farm with the following characteristics:

1) Mostly (if not all) FreeBSD based
2) Capable of serving thousands of domains

what would be some of the better approaches?

The designs would assume DNS round-robin balancing.

design 1:  get something like a NetApp or build a kickass FreeBSD NFS
server and all web servers would mount the NFS server.  Problem - may
run into NFS locking issues if FreeBSD is the NFS server.  NFS server
scalability may be an issue.

design 2:  replicate all data on all servers.  Problem - storage
scalability may be a problem.  Data coherency problem.

design 3:  split domains into multiple machines.  Problem - no redundancy
or load balancing.

Obviously we can use a mixture of techniques outline above - but from a
design complexity point of view I am wondering if any of them would be
good enough.

Also, would something like Squid help in this scenario?  I know Squid
can act as an accelerator, but how well can it act as a transparent
accelerator for thousands of domains?

Thanks,

Tim