Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:20:30 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        Andrew Hodges <ahodges@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump and SDT9000

On 1999-Nov-12 09:46:31 +1100, Andrew Hodges wrote:
>I have recently purchased a Compaq 12/24GB DDS3 DAT Drive

If this is a TLZ10, then I use them here (with Digital Unix aka Compaq
Tru64).

>I think a re-badged Sony SDT 9000.
I don't know, sorry.  (DEC changed the INQUIRE strings and I haven't
had a reason to pull any out yet).

> Can anybody help me with the correct parameters for the
>dump command for this drive ie buffer sizes etc?

The I/O buffer sizes shouldn't matter too much.  I use 64k.  Unless
you have a particular need for dump's tape-size calculations, I'd
suggest using `-a' and let the drive complain when it's out of tape.
(The calculations don't work when you have multiple backups on a
tape or are compressing the data, in any case).

One caveat: The DDS compression algorithm appears to perform very
badly on compressed data - I found around 25% expansion - and doesn't
seem to do a particularly good job on the sort of random text/binary
data you're likely to find in a filesystem.  I found I was much better
off using gzip and running the drive in non-compressed (12GB) mode
(assuming you've got the CPU horsepower to make this feasible).

Peter