Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 10:48:36 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE

On Thu, 28 May 1998 12:52:37 +1000, Kerry Morse
<kerry.morse@metro.tas.com.au> wrote:

>> > The time until release approaches zero as time approaches infinity.
>
>Do you mean that the time until release is infinity??  ;)
>
>Nope, they'll just never release 3.0-RELEASE, they'll go straight to
>3.01-RELEASE.....   <Cheesy Grin>

I'm running a -current 980515 SNAP here which looks good here.  Even
though it's lacking CAM and some other ongoing work, it's still light
years ahead of 2.2.X, with SMP, better performance, and many other
worthwhile improvements.

Dot-zero releases are usually buggy anyway, so why not just take that
980515 SNAP, get the ports collection in order, and call it 3.0
RELEASE?  That would prevent bugs introduced by developers trying to
make last-minute changes, which seems to happen with every release
Jordan announces in advance.  I think the 2.2.2 "stealth" release was
one of the most stable ever.

The ongoing -current work could later be called 3.1-RELEASE, or even
4.0-RELEASE.  I have a feeling that one is six months away, which is a
long time to wait for the good stuff that's already in -current now.