Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:30:12 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Danny <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7R - Kernel Compile (old way)  "Error code 1"

On 2003-01-24 18:28, Danny <lists@brenius.com> wrote:
> From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> > There is nothing wrong with the "old way" if you haven't touched the
> > sources since your last buildworld.
>
> I think you read that wrong. I was not implying that the "old way"
> was bad in anyway, I was just qouting the handbook reference to
> being the "old way".

Aye.  That works too.  I should bite the bullet and update the section
that speaks about kernel compiles one of these days.  Thanks for being
patient with my previous hasty reply.

> > You are obviously missing stuff that is required for SCSI support.
>
> I do not have any SCSI, USB, PCMCIA, and RAID hardware, so
> I removed all that stuff, which could be part of the problem-o. :)

Not all.  Looking carefully at your posted config file I could spot at
least three SCSI controllers left in there :(

# adv: All Narrow SCSI bus AdvanSys controllers.
# bt:  Most Buslogic controllers: including BT-445, BT-54x, BT-64x, BT-74x,
#      BT-75x, BT-946, BT-948, BT-956, BT-958, SDC3211B, SDC3211F, SDC3222F
# ncr: NCR 53C810, 53C825 self-contained SCSI host adapters.

> Some of these, (even if one does not have the hardware) must be
> required no matter what, then?

Some options depend on the presense of others.

> > # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> > # cp GENERIC RANCID
> >
> > then make a few modifications to RANCID and build your kernel:
> >
> > # vi RANCID
> > # config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID RANCID
> > # cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID
> > # make depend && make clean && make all
>
> Another user suggested:
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/compile
> # rm -R name_of_kernel_dir
>
> To remove reminisce of the partial make?
>
> Now back to start:
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> Edit lightly
> # ee MYKERNEL
> # /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> # cd ../.../compile/MYKERNEL
> # make depend
> # make
> # make install
>
> Could you please elaborate on your differences? I am new to most of
> this, so I am interested in different users experiences.

The makefiles in /usr/src/Makefile* include a "buildkernel" target
that builds the kernel in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL instead of
/usr/src/sys/i386/MYKERNEL.  This is what the commands I suggested
will do.  This has the added advantage that it supposed to work fine
even if /usr/src is read-only.  Plus, you keep the build files outside
of /usr/src and you won't risk losing them when you run CVSup again.

The best way for upgrading is by far to read /usr/src/UPDATING though,
especially the part near:

        To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
        4.x-STABLE