Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:28:20 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.condolan.asn>
To:        Mark Hughes <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
Cc:        Todd Reed <ex279@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD as Router and Firewall

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:52:45PM +0100, Mark Hughes said something to
the effect of:
> > PC's) w/static IP's and the other goes to a DHCP cable modem.  Is this
> > something that is possible or would I be better off getting a Linksys or
> > Netger Firewall/Router?  I'd like to be able to browse the internet, etc
> > from my other computers instead of just one!  Any good tutorials right
> off
> > hand?  I've one ran across a few.
>
> It's more than possible.

And _I_ think it's preferable. The only downside to using a PC for a
home firewall is power consumption. The benefits include lots of
flexibility, and the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's going
on with your network stuff.

> There's a few good tutorials at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd, or
> just searching at google can be fruitful. Do your internal PCs have static
> real IPs, or private ones? If private ones, look into natd.

...and if they _are_ real IPs, you might want to set up your NAT box
and network with private IPs on the inside; most cablemodem providers
charge a couple bucks extra per additional IP address, and there's no
reason to pay for that. Not only that, but if you change cable
providers, or even dump your cable and switch to dialup for a while
or something like that, you don't have to reconfigure your internal
machines. i've been through half a dozen ISPs in 4 years, and haven't
had to reconfigure _anything_ (except sendmail) when I switched since
I've been doing the private-IP+NAT thing.