Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:54:23 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch137@gmail.com>
To:        Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elantech touch pad not found on ASUS UX430U laptop

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 09:34:24 -0400
Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 08/30/2017 02:46 AM, Paul Koch wrote:
> >> Your Elantech touchpad is probably connected over I2C, and FreeBSD
> >> doesn't support I2C touchpads.  Support could probably be ported from
> >> Linux, I just don't have the time, hardware or desire to do it.    I
> >> think the hard part would be probing I2C controllers in the system and
> >> then probing each one for your touchpad.
> >>
> >> If you'd like to take a stab at adding support, I might be able to hold
> >> your hand a little.  Having access to Linux kernel logs would at least
> >> make it easier to add support for your particular system.
> >>
> >> Anthony Jenkins
> > Hi,
> >
> > I booted Linux and it is a I2C touchpad.  But I suppose the first problem
> > is the I2C controller doesn't seem to be supported by as no driver gets
> > attached.

> >  none2@pci0:0:21:0:	class=0x118000 card=0x17401043 chip=0x9d608086
> >  rev=0x21 hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
> >     device     = 'Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller'
> >     class      = dasp
> >
> >  none3@pci0:0:21:1:	class=0x118000 card=0x17401043 chip=0x9d618086
> >  rev=0x21 hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
> >     device     = 'Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller'
> >     class      = dasp
> >

> > What commands do I need to run on Linux to dump more info ?
>
> Looks like the 2nd PCI device above is the I2C controller to which your
> I2C touchpad is connected.  Linux is attaching driver i2c-designware to
> that PCI device.
>
> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v3.1/source/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware.c
>
> Presumably that would have to be ported to FreeBSD (no idea if we have
> one already).  I could try to toss a FreeBSD driver together, but I have
> no way to test it (except remotely).  I used to do Linux SMBus drivers a
> long time ago in a galaxy far away (linux 2.4 had just come out).

You can log into it remotely if you like.  I'll send you login details.  I'm
not using it yet because of the touch pad issue.  Still using my old BU400
laptop, which has developed a heat fault - keyboard doesn't register key
strokes when it is cold!  The UX430 is nice, 14" screen but in a 13.3" case,
so thin and light weight.

	Paul.