Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:37:34 -0700
From:      pierrelaroche <pierre.laroche@sbcglobal.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to install a custom BSD 6.2 kernel on HP i2000

Thanks for the great feedback. I got around this problem by doing the
following,

1) removed the sym link from /boot/efi to /boot
2) create /boot
3) copy /efi/boot /boot
4) do the kernel install
5) rename /efi/boot/kernel
6) copy /boot/kernel to /efi/boot
7) remove /boot
8) restored the sym link from /efi/boot to /boot

This works, because the new kernel boots fine. But there is definitely a bug
in the build for IA64 machines.