Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2018 15:57:19 +0200
From:      "D. Ebdrup" <debdrup@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Celeron J3160 with enabled Turbo mode stays at 480MHz (lowestsetting) forever and can not lower frequency without Tuebo mode

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 05.09.2018 15:53, Cy Schubert wrote:
>
> >> 1601 is not the actual frequency.  That is just how it is reported.  It
> >> is almost certainly running much higher than 1601.
> >
> > We don't know this until we can independently verify it. Do you mind
> > running some benchmarks with and without turbo mode?
>  What could be adequate benchmarks for this? Something likje "openssl
> speed aes128-cbc" or I need more specific one?

A new port called sysutils/turbostat can report actual turboboost
values for Intel CPUs.

Other OS', including older versions of Linux and Windows, as well as
other opensource and closedsource software, also exhibits this
behaviour of showing 1601MHz for a CPU that is turbo-boosting higher
than normal operating frequency (without ACPI P-levels) which is this
case is 1600MHz.

Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck looking for documentation that
covers how this can be added to FreeBSD base (preferably exposed via a
sysctl), but I suspect it would involve both machine-dependent and
machine-independent parts since both AMD, as well as ARM and other
architectures use some form of equivalent functionality.