Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 01:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Meyer <Skynet1@Cris.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Windows, Ethernet, Dial-up PPP, /stand/sysinstall

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, David Meyer wrote:

> Help!!!!
> 1) I haven't been able to hook up my computer to my Ethernet network or my
>    Dialup network!!! For PPP mode it only gives me the option of Com1 or Com2
>    but I think that in DOS my modem was Com3. What am I supposed to do??

Is this for install or after install?  If it's for install, move your
modem over temporarily.  If it's after install recompile your kernel,
adding the sio2 device back in.

> 2) How do I hook up my 32-bit TCP/IP ethernet?? How do I setup DNS and IP
> address
>    and all that stuff. Will I be able to have the Ethernet network and the
>    Dial-Up PPP network on at the same time like I did in Windows 95???

Huh?  Of course you will.  FreeBSD uses the reference implementation for
TCP/IP!

DNS:  Edit /etc/resolv.conf.
IP:   Edit /etc/sysconfig and /etc/hosts.

> 3) I haven't been able to find the X-Windows system.. Is it a package or
> something
>    else? Please don't tell me it cost money!

No, there is a free version on the CD.  You should have had an option when
you installed to put it on or not.

> 4) It told me to run /stand/sysinstall if I want to change the settings for
> my computer
>    but when I type that it brings me to a black+white version of the menu I did
>    when I installed but I can't make any selection!! The number keys don't
> respond,
>    any other key except TAB will make it go back to the shell!! Please help me!!

Sysinstall isn't a good tool for making system changes.  If you need to
add something that way, boot your boot floppy and mount the filesystems
and don't NEWFS them.  THen you can add stuff nondestructively.

I HIGHLY suggest checking out the Handbook and FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org.