Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:45:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Zdenko Tomasic <zdenko@CS.UH.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym: scsi parity errors for cdrom

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Zdenko Tomasic wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, uncorrected parity errors
> do appear quite uncorrectable as they keep being repeated as expected.:-)

SCSI parity errors are the consequence of something being not good on your
SCSI BUS. Btw, repeating the command is a perfectly safe recovery
procedure and may-be more safe than trying to recover on the fly by
telling the device about the error and it sending again the data without
disconnecting the BUS. The UNEXPECTED DISCONNECT could perfectly be the
decision of the device to force recovery by repeating the whole command.

> Eventually, I guess, CAM turns the incorrigible device off which is=20
> quite normal :-)

I will check, but I donnot think CAM does throw away a device on SCSI
parity errors. It does so on SELECTION timeout since it means that the
device is no longer responding. If you didn't lose any data and your
system didn't crash with the bonus of the driver having given you
information about the SCSI BUS problem, as reported by controller and
device, then the O/S did behave quite well, in my opinion.

> I guess I will be looking for the (ATAPI?) substitute which is quite
> normal and expected :-((

Facing a broken BUS, the ATAPI device will indeed normally fail. :-)

  G=E9rard.