Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 08:11:27 -0400
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing .deb packages

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 01:10:08PM +0200 johann@broadpark.no <johann@broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have this WineX application I'd like to run under Linux binary emulation.
>
> I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the FreeBSD ports system, and compiling in
> general. I do not know how to keep track of files if I compile and install a
> source on my box. I believe .deb's are a bit easier to manage?

I use Debian quite a bit on some other boxes.  Deb's are the binary
packages installed on a Debian Linux system (they can be source too).  I
I don't understand why you would want any on your FreeBSD system though.

I personally think the FreeBSD packaging system can be as friendly as
apt-get; at this point I'm still more comfortable with Debian apt-get
and FreeBSD ports, though, than with pkg_*.

As far as installing your own non-port sources in /usr/local/src, I'm
not sure how you would add that to your package database without porting
the sources and then making a port yourself.  Or you can look at man
pkg_create.

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net